Usually a vacation in the Mediterranean island is associated with sunny beaches, picturesque summer landscapes, Cyprus villas on the seashore and water activities. But only a few know about another Cyprus - mountainous Cyprus, that is shrouded in mountain ranges with steep slopes perfect for enjoying a variety of winter sports. Here you will find mountain resorts located near one of the highest mountains of Cyprus, where you will be delighted by an excellent touristic infrastructure and an unforgettable experience.
Ski holidays in Cyprus: key facts
The highest mountain on the island is called Olympus. It is near this mountain (1951 metres a.s.l) that all mountain resorts in Cyprus are located.
● The duration of the season: The skiing season on the island starts from mid-December and lasts until the end of March. The length of the season is largely determined by weather conditions and the amount of snow, but the best months to enjoy the sport are usually January and February.
● The complexity of the tracks: Cyprus offers skiing aficionados tracks of different difficulty levels. There are slopes for everyone here - from those who are just learning to ski to the real experts.
● The best of both worlds: Due to the sizes of the island, tourists can ski among the beautiful snow-capped peaks of Troodos, and in an hour can find themselves enjoying the fresh sea air on the coast. In March, you can ski for half the day and sunbathe on the beach for the other half. Experienced tourists even recommend combining skiing and other "warmer" activities in Cyprus. It is this sharp contrast that makes this vacation truly unique and memorable.
● Safety: Ski resorts in Cyprus are renowned for their safety in relation to all tourists, starting from the youngest. Professional instructors, reliable equipment, and a number of first-aid facilities are available to provide care for all visitors.
● How to get there: Getting to the resorts of the Troodos mountains is not difficult - asphalted roads will take you there in less than an hour from Nicosia or Limassol and just a bit longer from Pafos. The best way to get here is with your own vehicle or a rented car in Cyprus.
Platres - the main ski center of the island
Platres is a small mountain village located at an altitude of about two thousand meters above sea level. In its upper part there are a large number of hotels, cafes, and bakeries. In terms of atmosphere and facilities, Platres resembles the resorts of the Alps, and the ski slopes on Mount Olympus are situated 12 kilometers away. This ski center offers slopes of different difficulty levels, so it is suitable for a wide variety of skiers - from beginners to professionals.
The infrastructure of the resort offers the following:
● Equipment. There are several places in the resort where you can buy or rent quality ski equipment. The staff of the rental centers will help you choose the right equipment so that skiing is as safe and comfortable as possible. Here you can rent downhill and cross-country skis, snowboards and other necessary equipment.
● Training. For those who will ski in Cyprus for the first time in their life, numerous training programs are offered. Group and individual lessons can also be taken by skiers who are more confident but still want to improve their skills. One of the sports clubs that offers this quality training is the Cyprus Ski Club.
● Trails. In total, the resort has twelve ski slopes, and all of them are named after the ancient Greek gods. Symbolically, slopes with the names of the supreme ruler gods "Zeus" and "Hera" should be chosen by the more professional skiers. For beginners, the Aphrodite and Hermes slopes are ideal.
● Lifts. The resort has four lifts, three of them are drag lifts and one chair lift (for the Zeus slope).
● Cost. If we compare the mountain resorts in Cyprus with the European ones, then the former significantly benefit in terms of the costs and the quality. And despite the fact that the number of slopes here is much lower than in European resorts, each skier will get his own unforgettable skiing experience in the mountains of Cyprus.
Mountain Cyprus: the best hotels for tourists
Mountain Cyprus can meet all of the lodging needs of its visitors. Those who prefer a cozy holiday that feels "like home" can choose a modern apartment in Cyprus for a short or long term stay, while those who like an all-inclusive vacation can choose between some of the following options for some of the best hotels on the island:
● Troodos Hotel. This hotel is conveniently located among picturesque landscapes that make it a very popular destination among tourists. It is located only five kilometers away from Mount Olympus, so it is very convenient for those who wish to be as close to the ski slopes as possible. The hotel provides services such as free Wi-Fi, parking, airport shuttle, and a fitness center.
● Jubilee Hotel. Another hotel located a few kilometers from Mount Olympus. Cozy rooms and additional services will make your stay at this hotel especially comfortable.
● Semiramis Hotel. This is a small yet extremely comfortable hotel in Platres. The hotel has been operating since British rule on the island and has an excellent reputation. Free parking, Wi-Fi, and dry cleaning services are among the in-house amenities available for guests. There is also a restaurant on site where you can taste delicious Cypriot dishes.
● New Helvetia. A hotel in Platres with excellent facilities and a wide range of services. Free Wi-Fi, parking, a fitness center, dry cleaning, conference rooms, self-service laundry and even babysitting services are available for guests. This hotel is an excellent option for families with children, as well as for any other kind of visitor.
● Forest Park. The hotel is nestled in a forest on the slopes of the Troodos Mountains. There is a swimming pool, sauna, tennis courts, and table tennis available for guests. The hotel also has a restaurant with traditional Cypriot cuisine and a modern bar where you can enjoy not only delicious cocktails but also live music.
Skiing in Cyprus has its own amazing perks with a distinct Mediterranean attitude. There is a saying, that anyone who visits the ski resorts of Cyprus will definitely want to come back again. So try this new experience that will leave you coming back for more!