Pafos is known to many due to the fact that the beautiful goddess of love Aphrodite was born on its shores. But this fact is not the only thing that attracts tourists to the city. Real estate in Pafos is distinguished by its comfort and coziness, and the city itself is one of the best places for a beach holiday in Cyprus. Here you can find both comfortable pebbly and sandy beaches and remote rocky coves to explore.
Most beaches in Pafos have the Blue Flag certification, which indicates a high level of environmental quality and safety of the water. All the beaches of Pafos, as is the case for all beaches in Cyprus, are municipal property so visiting them is absolutely free. Even the beaches near the most prestigious hotels are free for everyone to visit.
The best beaches in Pafos for families with children
There are many interesting activities on the island for families travelling with their children and beach holidays are some of the most popular. Among the many beaches of Pafos, there are several that are best suited for families. It is worth noting that all these beaches have distinct qualities and features, so they will be interesting for children and grown ups alike.
- Coral Bay. Coral Bay is one of the most popular beaches not only in the city, but on the entire island. Locals and tourists alike love this place because of the fine sand and clean, warm water. The bottom is shallow, which is a huge advantage for families with small children. The beach infrastructure is well developed and meets European standards such as the Blue Flag certification. There are a large number of cafes and restaurants along the beach, where you can have delicious meals throughout the day. The beach offers a wide range of activities for people of all ages. Children will surely love the Ithaki amusement park nearby, with all of its exciting rides. At the beach you can rent umbrellas, sun loungers, towels, and other necessary items for a comfortable stay under the sun. Coral Bay is located 12 kilometers from the center of Paphos. You can get to it by taking bus number 615, which departs from the city center, and Coral Bay is the final bus stop.
- Pafos municipal beach. Located almost at the very center of the tourist area, the Pafos City Beach is another great choice. It is smaller than the Coral Bay beach, but no less comfortable. The beach is sandy, which makes it more convenient for families that prefer it to a pebbly beach. It is worth noting that entering into the water here can be a little rocky. This does not cause too much discomfort, but being a bit careful will surely not hurt. The beach also has a well-developed infrastructure, and various beach equipment can be rented here. Lifeguards work daily on the beach, and it has also been awarded the Blue Flag certification. The advantage of this beach also lies in its proximity to all the interesting places in the city. Therefore, you can easily alternate your stay at the beach with a leisurely walk around the city center. Cozy cafes, restaurants, souvenir shops - all of these can be found near the beach. Some of the most famous cultural events of Cyprus take place in Pafos, making it a place of cultural and historical significance.
- Geroskipou. This beach is named after the nearby village, which translates as ‘The Sacred Gardens”. This is a very comfortable and welcoming beach with green areas and gardens nearby and a lot of beach cafes dotted along the shore. The beach is mostly sandy with a few pebbles. The bottom is smooth, with a fairly large shallow area, so you can feel more relaxed and comfortable with small children. In addition, there are breakwaters that protect the area from waves, so the sea is always calm here. You will find that all the necessary equipment for your stay and recreation can be hired here. There are also showers, changing cabins and toilets. For those who like more active time on the beach, there are football and volleyball courts as well as a tennis court nearby. Like Pafos City Beach, Geroskipou has a Blue Flag certification. From Pafos you can get to the beach by shuttle buses No. 606 and 611.
- Latchi. Latchi Beach is the best place for those who are not keen on going to a crowded or noisy beach; It is always calm and quiet here. The beach is located on the Akamas peninsula near the fishing village of Latchi, which is another interesting destination to explore. It is easy to find a secluded spot here to enjoy the beautiful landscape and peaceful surroundings. Despite the fact that the beach is very beautiful, it is not very popular among tourists, therefore it is almost always free from large crowds. If you decide to come here, be sure to visit the Paphos Zoo, which you can find on the road from the city to Akamas.
Wild beaches of Paphos
For those who prefer a secluded getaway, the wild beaches of Pafos are the best choice. It is on a wild beach far from the noise of the city that you can fully enjoy a pristine oasis of tranquility.
- Lara beach. The beach is located on a nature reserve, so there is no coastal infrastructure on it. Umbrellas and sun loungers are not allowed here and there are also no hotels, restaurants or water attractions near the beach. The lack of the usual amenities is off-putting to some visitors, so there are usually very few people here. Nevertheless, the peninsula on which the beach is located is a unique place where you can see rare species of animals and plants, and enjoy the picturesque landscapes in peace.
- Blue lagoon. There is practically no infrastructure on this beach; There are no sun beds, umbrellas, showers and other beach facilities. However, during the season you can meet groups of tourists here that wish to get to the Aphrodite's grotto, located 35 kilometers from Pafos. There are several excellent viewpoints along the way that are worth stopping for as well to enjoy the beautiful landscape.
All of the beaches listed are comfortable and safe for families with children. Your choice of destination will depend on your specific needs and requirements, but coming to any one of these beaches will prove to be an exciting and relaxing activity to enjoy with the whole family.